Thursday, August 20, 2015

Fantastic Red Velvet Cupcakes



If you know me at all you know I have an obsession with baking, like a serious need to go to BA (Baker's Anonymous).  My little baking problem started about 10 years ago when my girls were babies.  Over the years I’ve tested and tweaked a lot of different recipes in order to find what I like to call "Baketastic Perfection".  The hands down winner of all time is this recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes.  It’s by far my most requested flavor from friends and family.  Why is it so good?  I'm not 100% sure but I think it's because of a little tweak I made to the recipe after watching an old rerun of DC Cupcakes.  I started using raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar instead of plain old white vinegar.   I think this little tweak makes a HUGE difference, maybe you should try the recipe and let me know what you think!   

¾ cup butter
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups sugar
1 1-ounce bottle of red food coloring
2 tablespoons milk 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar

Let the butter and eggs stand and come to room temperature, for about 1 hour.  Line your muffin tin with the cupcake papers.  In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder and salt, set aside. 
Preheat oven to 350⁰F.  In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds and gradually add sugar, continue beating until light and fluffy, scraping down sides if needed.  Add eggs, red food coloring, vanilla, and milk beating after each addition.  Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk beating until just combined, don’t over beat!  In a separate bowl mix baking soda and apple cider vinegar, then grab the kiddos and have an impromptu science lesson.  After the science lesson fold the vinegar mixture into the batter. 
Spoon the batter into your muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes.  Let the cupcakes cool completely then frost with Cream Cheese Icing.  
 Then you can proudly display your masterpiece on this cool rustic cupcake stand from Simply Country Living!  That's "Baketastic Perfection"!

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
simplycountryliving
Welcome to the Simply Country Living Blog! My name is Amanda and I'm passionate about living the simply country life. I live in Cody, Wyoming, the rodeo capitol of the world! If that's not country I don't what is. I live on a small place with 20 irrigated acres with four horses, one pony, 15 chickens, 11 Nubian milking goats, one dog and one cat. I'm the owner of Simplycountryliving.com, a on-line country home boutique full of high quality, unique products you will love!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.