Tuesday, August 25, 2015

GROWTH- A Prayer For Back To School







It's a new school year and it's a big one for us, our oldest daughter began middle school.  I've spent the last two months asking myself, how did this happen so fast?  Much to my surprise having a daughter in 6th grade has brought back some vivid memories for me, as if I was in middle school just yesterday.  I remember the mean girls, the popular girls, the smart girls, the athletic girls, the country girls and so on.  I can still feel the internal tug-of-war and the confusion of trying to figure out where I belonged, as if just being me wasn’t okay.   I have an anxious feeling within my soul, like my daughter's experience will be as confusing as mine.  

It really doesn't help that we just moved to a new town and our children are entering new schools for the second time in two years, that's an entire blog post in itself.  Just today during a particularly anxiety ridden time I was praying and contemplating the complexities of our situation.  During my daily run, I was listening to one of my go to podcasts, Midday Connection. I was very excited to listen because one of my favorite Midday guests, Dr. Jennifer Degler, was talking about stress and the timing couldn't be more perfect.  During the podcast, God reveled to me many things, but what impressed on me the most was that I'm in a period of grieving.  Grieving because my daughters are growing up and I’m not ready.  Grieving for time and relationships lost to moving numerous times.  It's as if the past two years we've been fighting one battle after another, never gaining, never getting out of survival mode, never growing and at times losing vision and hope.  I'm sure we gained many positives during our time in the desert, one always does, but the positives of difficult situations can be almost impossible to see when you're in the midst of a battle.  The word that kept coming up during my run was growth; it's what we've been missing and what we need so desperately.  I realized that what I really truly want for myself and my family during this next year is spiritual, emotional and relational growth.  This is my prayer for the next school year.  I hope it will bless you as well.
.   
Grace- for others and themselves.

Resilience- of spirit and mind, even when things are hard and unfair.

Openness- to positive new experiences and people.

Wisdom- to know which friends to keep at arm’s length and which ones hold close.

Thankfulness- for one thing each day, even if the day has been difficult.

Humility and Hope- Humility to realize the world doesn't revolve around them and hope for the future, this time in their lives will be but a blink.

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
simplycountryliving
Welcome to the Simply Country Living Blog! My name is Amanda and I'm passionate about living the simply country life. I live in Cody, Wyoming, the rodeo capitol of the world! If that's not country I don't what is. I live on a small place with 20 irrigated acres with four horses, one pony, 15 chickens, 11 Nubian milking goats, one dog and one cat. I'm the owner of Simplycountryliving.com, a on-line country home boutique full of high quality, unique products you will love!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.